Covid-19 Update: May 23 2020

Practice swims have been cancelled for the time being and will only happen with a clear green light from public health authorities permitting group gatherings. Hopefully this will be possible later in the summer. We will not be starting our swims at the end of May, as per our normal schedule.

We have posted advice for open water swimming.

The VOWSA team has made the decision to cancel all VOWSA race events for the 2020 season: the Canada Day Challenge, the Kits Challenge and the Bay Challenge. We are doing this for the following reasons:

  • It is unlikely that government-mandated physical distancing guidelines will be lifted by August 8th, the date of our final swim race event, The Bay Challenge.
  • Safety is our primary concern. Cancelling our race events supports physical distancing guidelines as prescribed by Dr. Henry. Along with being unable to guarantee the minimum safe distance among swimmers, we would also be obliging the lifeguards to contravene the guidelines should anyone require assistance.
  • All of these races require training (for most humans). With the pools closed and VOWSA practice swims very likely cancelled, we would be putting swimmers at more risk than necessary.

We have now refunded all practice swim and race registrations. If you have not received your refund, please contact us.

We look forward to seeing everyone later this season or in 2021. We will let you know of any changes for this season.